Studio Friday - Linocut Block Printing
This week I've been working on block printing with acrylic paint in my studio. Last Friday I was having difficulty with the paint covering the rollers and then the print blocks in uneven ways. The paint didn't want to stick to the roller and dried too fast.
I have worked on these issues. I tried one suggestion of adding medium to thin the paint, but that made the paint too transparent and it still wouldn't stick to the roller. I also added drying retarder which did help the paint not dry too fast.
I found that adding the drying retarder and rolling the paint out on a larger surface until it got thin and tacky feeling prepared the paint for rolling a block print.
I made paper prints at the same time as I was printing on the papers taped down. I found out that just pushing the print down on the surface does not give enough pressure to create a clear print.
When I placed the paper instead over the print and rub and press on the paper until I could feel the contours of the carved image coming through the paper, the print would come out much more clearly.
I also found that I needed more contrast. I painted darker color over the taped down paper. I later removed the tape and printed each piece by placing the paper on top of the linocut print block.
I also learned that my roller really squeaks. I apologize to my family. I'll not be making prints at night again. Maybe I'll oil my roller.